Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Ghostwing Tote

At the DCMQG Retreat a few weeks ago, attendees could opt to participate in a sew-along of the Super Tote. I really like this tote, and I've like all of Anna's patterns that I've tried, but after thinking about it (and looking at the semi-lenghty supply list) I decided that I didn't need it. I did, however, need a new basic tote to schlep my shoes, lunch, etc. back and forth to work. I settled on the 40 Minute Tote from Purl Bee.
 

I splurged and bought some of Anna Maria Horner's Field Study Linen in Ghostwing to use. I figured if I'm going to be using it every day, I might as well get something that will last and that I enjoy looking at. I bought it from Pink Castle (LOVE them! Also, there are no benefits or disclaimers or anything. I just like their customer service) and had the opportunity to pick it up in person from their brick and mortar store when Mr. T and I were in Ann Arbor a few weeks ago! So jealous I don't still live around there with this shop in my backyard! They're still putting some finishing touches on it, but once it's done it's going to be great!

Anyway, the tote! It's perfect! When I was putting it together, I thought it might be too big, but now that I've been using it for a few weeks, it's just the right size to hold on my junk and then some.


Because I can't live without them, I added a zippered pocket to the inside in addition to the slip pocket that's in the pattern. It's perfect for my keys and iPod for my weekend trips to the library or farmer's market.  No more digging at the bottom like I did in my old work tote.


I wasn't paying attention and managed to sew the back panel (well, now it's the back panel) on upside down, but I kind of like it because it looks like the moths are circling the bag.

Not sure what the lining fabric is. I think it's Robert Kaufman, though. I won it from Kim (thanks, Kim!).
At this point I've made enough bags that I can handle simple construction like this, so I really only used the pattern to get the measurements, and then just went on my own. As always, I made a few mods:
- Added SF-101 to lining to stabilize it a bit
- Used fabric rather than webbing to make the straps
- Added a layer of batting to the straps. I meant to at 101 as well, but I forgot.

Thanks to Grace for modeling!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the way that pattern works on the bag. Very cool looking. Also - is the bottom gusseted? Looks like a great bag that I would put ALL MY SHIT in. i.e. what I call a black hole bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The AMH fabric was a great choice for this bag! Great work Jess!!

    ReplyDelete