Monday, January 19, 2015

Computer Case

Many months ago we got a much needed new computer, and Mr. T asked if I would make a case for it. As much as it warmed my heart to hear him request a handmade item, I didn't have time to get around to for a few months. Finally, in October I had some time off work, so I made finishing this case a priority.

I used the same style I had used for his iPad case previously, but I changed the dimensions to fit the computer as well as the additional padding I added. All pieces are lined with fusible fleece, and I also added a layer of duck canvas to the two exterior pieces.  I quilted everything with a 2" cross hatch to make sure all the layers stayed in place and to add a bit of extra weight.

The exterior fabric is Yard Dyed Essex in black and the interior is something that I received in a swap during the DCMCQ Retreat a few years ago and that couldn't have fit Mr. T better.  When he saw the case, he even said I should have put the records on the outside!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Alpine Headband

Two weeks ago, one of my friends turned THIRTY! To celebrate, we went skiing (my first time ever, but that's a different story), so I made her this aptly named Alpine Headband.

It was just a happy coincidence that the pattern I liked was also named after her chosen birthday activity, but I take it as a good sign that she'll like this (naturally I only started working on it the night before the ski trip, so I didn't quite finish on time and haven't given it to her yet).

I used Tosh DK in Smokestack and Malabrigo Lace in Glazed Carrot that I had originally purchased to make an Argon Tee, but then didn't like a) how the lace and DK worked together for that tee and b) could tell just by the first few inches that the sizing was going to be way off.

The pattern was super easy to follow, but given my gauge I was afraid the finished headband would be too narrow, so I added another two rows (which equals 4 additional stitches) to the repeat to make it a bit wider, and then ended up doing 6 or so fewer repeats than recommended to reach the desired circumference.

I also used the new camera I just received as a belated Hanukkah gift to take photos. SO AMAZING! So far I've only used the automatic function, but I'm excited to take some time and learn how to operate it manually.

Monday, January 5, 2015


I first mentioned these socks on July 11, 2012 when I purchased the yarn.

Then I mentioned them again in January when they were almost complete, but I frogged them because the fit was awful.

Now, two years later, it is my pleasure to introduce my first pair of adult socks!!!

You can scour the archives of this blog and find many references to the ridiculous number of times I took out rows, or frogged these completely, but now they're done and I love them!

They're plain vanilla socks with a 2x2 rib cuff and the fish lips kiss heel. I was originally working the gusset heel from Wendy Johnson's Socks From the Toe Up, but there was no way it was ever going to fit. So after a lot of research, I gave the fish lips kiss heel a try and it's great! It was super easy to knit, and it fits really well. I think the feet of the socks are a tad too big, but I can easily fix that next time. I must have some oddly narrow feet and/or extremely tight knitting style because even the smallest sizes in all of the patterns I looked at were way too big based on my gauge (these were 56 stitches on size 0 needles... Or maybe size 1. I'll have to check).

Now I just need to get some sock blockers! If you have suggestions for cute ones, leave a comment.