Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Munchkin socks

As promised, here they are.  My first ever pair of handmade socks!  I am so proud of these!  I first tried making a pair of socks in high school when one of my friends asked for some.  I only knew how to crochet at the time and, despite several attempts, it was a failed endeavor.  Not any more!  Now my friend my can actually get those socks - albeit a decade late...


Anywho, as mentioned in the WIP post a few weeks ago, I originally started this sockstravaganza using a pattern from Knit Socks! 17 Patterns for Cozy Feet by Betsy McCarthy.  But as I was nearing the close of the first sock, I decided that a) I didn't like it that much, b) it was way too big for the recipient, and c) I wasn't going to have enough yarn for a second sock.  So, I ripped out the sock and did a bit of research.  Since I first starting knitting, I had heard about knitting two socks at time.  I was a little apprehensive to try it straight out of the gate, but in the end I realized that I might as well learn the two at a time method right off rather than getting used to one at a time and having to relearn a different method later on.  Thankfully I found a fantastic tutorial with lots of pictures on Knitting Giraffe,  It's a two-part tutorial - the first covers casting on and the second covers turning the heel, which are really the only two challenging parts to making socks.  



I then turned to ravelry for a basic sock pattern for teeny tiny feet and found this one from Fuzzy Thoughts, Knitting Cuteness.  Mine are still a bit big (I think) for the baby, but he'll grow into them....


An artsy photo - sort of.  Mr. T told me stick to the fabric and
yarn crafts because photography is not my forte...

We saw the baby (and his parents) last weekend, so I had to add another photo of
these socks on actual baby feet. So cute!

Materials: 1/2 skein (or thereabouts.  I'm not 100% sure) Shibui sock yarn in Storm; Addi Turbo Size 1 (2.5mm), 47" circular needles 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Simple and beautiful Thanks for sharing this blog.

    ReplyDelete