FINALLY, after way too many months, I can share the completed Standford iPad mini case! I first mentioned this one in January, which for a small project like this is a really long time ago! But now it's done and gifted!
I was originally following this tutorial from Craft Buds, but after I put everything together, I really didn't like the zipper mechanism. The opening was a bit tight, which made it difficult to get the iPad in, but then the case was way too lose, so the device jiggled around and didn't feel well-protected.
So I ripped everything out and tried again, this time with the standard velcro closure I've used in the past (here, here, and here). I went with the wide strap as I used on Mr. T's case, but moved it to the side rather than the top since I had already designed the case and placed my label to open in this manner when following the zipper plan. I still had to rip it out one more time because the outer cover was too big, but the third time's the charm, right!
For the back, my friend wanted a wolf (which I thought was an unofficial mascot of Stanford, but apparently she just likes wolves...), so I traced an image and appliqued it on with a zig zag stitch. I have to say, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, especially since this was only my second applique experience.
I quilted all four panels with some low-loft batting, practicing FMQ a little bit more on three of them. I really wanted to quilt a tree (which is the official mascot...) onto the front like the school's logo, but I decided that was a bit outside my skill level, and that the chance of breaking a needle was pretty high since the seams of my paper-pieced S are pretty thick.
Fabric: Kona red and white (not sure if those are the official names)
Thread: Aurifil 50wt white for piecing and guilting, Guterman I think 30wt for construction
Paper-pieced S designed by me
This is my first finish for FAL 2013 Q1! See the full list here. See recap post showing my progress (or lack thereof) here.