Friday, January 11, 2013

Finish-A-Long 2013: Quarter 1

she can quiltWith my work schedule, I don't actually have too much sewing time, so I'm pretty good a not having unfinished projects (UFOs) [my list is more things that I want to make and have the materials for, but don't have time to start], but I do have a few so I thought I'd participate in the 2013 Finish-A-Long hosted by Leanne at she can quilt anyway.

After reading through the rules, I'm not sure that all of the below count towards the FAL, but since this list is for my own accountability as well, I'm adding them anyway.

1) Stanford iPad case


Originally posted here. The friend I'm making this for is coming to visit next week, so I need to get moving.  Once I find the time and get motivated, it shouldn't take too long to complete.

2) Index Blocks


I made these blocks in October as a pattern tester and they've been sitting around since then.  I'm still having trouble deciding what to do with them.  I'm leaning towards a pillow as a birthday gift, but that requires some rearranging and possibly a couple more blocks, so no progress.

3) Baby Quilt

 


This one is a gift so I can't show too much, but I really need to get it done.  The recipient is due in two weeks...

4) Schoolhouse Tunic


AH! This tunic! I made this in November as part of a sew along.  The fit is beyond off and as one new to garment sewing I'm not sure how to fix it.  I spoke to Mom's neighbor, who is an expert seamstress, so now I just need to get the appropriate foot for my machine and attempt to make the alterations she suggested.  Also cursing myself for trying to be fancy and doing french seams.  Not wise, especially for my first piece of clothing.

I don't think these last three count towards the FAL, but I wanted to document them anyway.

5) Snowballs in Helsinki quilt

 

I really need to start cutting this.  That's my Q1 goal - just to start cutting.  Maybe even sew a few blocks, but at the very least cut the fabric. It's just so many pieces that I'm a bit daunted.  And I'm not 100% sure if I have enough fabric to actually make it this large, so I need to be careful with how I'm cutting to make my fabric go as far as I can, and to make sure it's all spaced evenly between the three rings of each block.

6) Boyfriend Sweater

This one is almost done!  It's been a year in the making, but I'm so close.  All I need to do is block it and sew on the buttons. Odd thing about me for which my friends mock me relentlessly - I hate buttons (but I love cardigans) so this last step is the one I'm dreading most.  But the sweater is amazing so I need to do it so that I can actually wear it!

7) Spectrum Socks

I completed the legs a few months ago, but was a bit overwhelmed by turning the heels so I put these aside to focus on my sweater.  Now that the sweater is done - at least the knitting part - I'm determined to finish these before casting on any new projects.  Also, this post from Hey Porkchop was really motivating. (If anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep my yarn from getting so messy and tangled, I'd appreciate it.  I wound the skeins as center pull balls, but clearly I didn't do a very good job...).

So that's it.  Aside from my Lucky Stars BOM, which is obviously a year long project, those are the only UFOs/WIPs I currently have.  Granted, my list of things I want to make is about 5 times as long and ever growing, so I need to clean these out so I can move right along.  I think this is a pretty reasonable list and I'm excited to have this motivation to actually complete some of these projects that I've been neglecting and originally planned to continue to neglect (ahem. index blocks and schoolhouse tunic).

1 comment:

  1. You can do this! Found you via the FAL link. Bravo for trying to do french seams in your clothing :D

    ReplyDelete