Monday, November 14, 2011

Spiral hat and scarf

I originally saw this hat pattern on the Purl Bee and knew I had to make it.  I absolutely love the way the rib spirals around the hat and creates an intriguing texture.  I'd also been eyeing this new Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton yarn for a few weeks and figured it would be a perfect combination.  My cousin's Bat Mitzvah is coming up, so I bought some of the yarn in petits fours, which creates a beautiful pink, green, and purple color transition (perfect for a 13 year old girl).


The hat pattern is written for a 6+3 gauge, but I changed it to 6 so that I could get an even 3x3 rib without an odd 6-stitch wide rib running up the seam.  I used the same 3x3 pattern to create the scarf so that my cousin could have nice matching set.

[So...I forgot to take a picture of the completed hat and scarf before I wrapped it up and gave it to my cousin.  Clearly I'm new to this blogging thing.  I'll try to get one as soon as I can.]

The hat gave me a bit of trouble.  Not sure if it's the yarn I chose or what, but I didn't feel like it was spiraling quite as much as I would have liked.  Though after blocking, it does look much better.  Now I just hope it fits my cousin's head...  

No comments:

Post a Comment