This is my first official sewing project. At least in adulthood. I did make a pretty good stuffed turkey for Thanksgiving one year when I was in elementary school, but since moving out of my mother's house I haven't had access to a sewing machine. Or the interest, really. But now that's all changed.
I originally wanted to make my mom some nice kitchen towels, but after searching two stores I couldn't find the right fabric. Instead, I decided to make this scarf that I found on the Purl Bee, naturally. After spending over an hour in the fabric store, I finally decided on three prints. The pattern suggests using two prints and one solid, but I couldn't find a solid I liked and thought that these three fit well together.
The pattern also calls for torn edges, giving the contrasting border fabric a frayed look. However, since I bought a print, I couldn't really do that because both the "right" and "wrong" sides would be showing (not that you could necessarily tell based on 1/4 of an inch that peeks through, but still). I also thought Mom might like the slightly more polished look of a finished edge. To do that, I just cut 1.5 inch strips of the orange fabric, folded them in half, and ironed them flat.
Here's the finished product. I really like the way the fabrics contrast and go at the same time. And I love the pop of brightness the orange print adds to the overall look.
I think it turned out quite well for my first project. I had a few little mistakes, and had to sew over a couple of areas twice because I didn't catch the fabric on both sides, but all in all I'd say it's pretty good for my first time! Let's hope Mom likes it...