Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guest Post - Washcloths for Honduras

The crafting front has been a little slow chez Crafty Roach, so today I'm bringing you another guest post. This one comes to us from MaBrown, the mother of Mr. T's best friend from high school and college, and now one of my good friends. Just as with our previous guest poster, Lauren, MaBrown took some time away from knitting, but she's easing her way back in with these washcloths.

Photo courtesy of MaBrown
And now I'll hand it over to MaBrown:

I have recently been inspired to pick up knitting again, thanks to "The Crafty Roach." I used to knit when I was a teenager, but school, career, and children pushed my crafty aspirations to the back burner. My kids are grown now and I am exploring new ways to foster my creative side.  

Photo courtesy of MaBrown

Every year my husband and I go down to Honduras on a medical mission trip with the Luke Society. We take care of patients in the mountain villages with all sorts of medical issues. I am a pediatrician and love seeing all of the kids. Many of them have never seen a doctor, much less a pediatrician, so we have lots to talk about.  They are grateful for any small thing we can give them, so every year, with the help of my church friends, we fashion "hygiene kits." They include a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant soap, anti-dandruff shampoo, and for the babies I throw in some baby shampoo and baby lotion.  I am happy to be able to knit the colorful washcloths, which add a personal touch to the kits!

Photo courtesy of MaBrown
Thank you, MaBrown! I'm sure the kits are much appreciated, and its always satisfying to create a product that you know will be well-used. 

Materials
Pattern: Slanted garter stitch dishcloth/washcloth (not the exact pattern, but similar)
Yarn: Lily Sugar n' Cream


No comments:

Post a Comment