His sister's birthday is just a few days before mine, so having to worry about two gifts compounds the problem. This year, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make her a purse so that he wouldn't have to worry about her present. It's still late, of course, but we have a good excuse: Mr. T is going to visit his sister in a few weekends, so why waste money on cross-country shipping when he can hand deliver it?
Anyway, after spending hours combing through countless bag patterns, I finally settled on the Buttercup Bag by Made by Rae. I think it's the perfect size for Mr. T's sister, and I was working from my stash, which is chock full of fat quarters, so I knew I'd be able to find a good fabric and not have to worry about running out.
Her favorite color is blue, which was exciting because it meant I could finally dig into the Dear Stella Lanikai bundle I had purchased from Fat Quarter Shop awhile ago. This bundle was my first quality fabric purchase, so I've been saving it for something super special. Obviously I still have a lot left since it was a huge bundle (on sale, too!), but it breaks the ice a little bit since I've cut into the first FQ. I was debating between using Mosaic and Splatter Paint, and decided to go with Mosaic because a) I thought the pattern would work a bit better on the bag and b) there was less white space which means it won't show dirt as easily! For the lining and pocket I just used some fabric I had bought from JoAnn a while ago.
I had a lot of fun making this bag and I learned a lot of new techniques. It was the first time I had used magnetic snaps, the first time I added interfacing (correctly), the first time I lined a bag, the first time I made pleats, and the first time I included a label (I'm pretty excited about this last one!). Overall, I found the pattern pretty easy to follow. I got inpatient and didn't read carefully a few times, so I did a little bit of seam ripping, but that was all user error. I also had to refer to the Go Anywhere Bag pattern that I had just purchased from Noodlehead to install the magnetic snap. (Note: keep your eyes out for this one - it's on my list for this weekend).
|To make the label, I used some cotton printer "paper" with the fusible back that I bought at JoAnn when I was making my brother's wedding kippot. I think it worked out quite well.|
|I love my little roach!|
Anyway, this Mosaic Buttercup is off to it's new home in a few weeks and I hope it gets a lot of use!