Friday, June 8, 2012

Braided Handle Tote Bag

In the last few weeks, I have been completed addicted to my sewing machine.  It started when I dusted off the cobwebs to make the Inside Out Tote Bag and has continued with this second bag made from canvas.  After working with this material twice, I really like it.  It comes in such bright, vibrant colors and the end product is both professional and practical (read: durable).  I found the pattern for this bag on (you guessed it!)...Purl Bee!  I was immediately drawn to the clean lines and rounded bottom (a bit more unique than the standard square tote).  As with the previous tote, I just needed to an occasion/excuse to make it.  Again, I had a friend with a birthday coming up, so off I went to JoAnn, coupons in hand.  After about 5 seconds, I settled on these shades of blue.  Normally picking fabrics takes me hours, so it was nice to be able to make such a quick, easy decision.


I changed it up just a bit by using two strands of the accent shade and one of the main bag color in the handle, rather than 2 of the main color and one of the accent as the pattern directs.  First, I thought doing this would add a little more brightness and fun to the finished product, which it did.  Second, I was able to buy 1/4 yard less fabric than recommended, which means fewer scraps to add to my every growing collection!


I wasn't sure if I was going to add the snaps, but in the end I'm glad I did.  They really do provide a nice shape to the bag, and also act as a closure of sorts.


I think that my friend will really like it.  Hopefully it's professional enough for her to take to her new job, but if not, it will still look great walking around town on the weekends!


No comments:

Post a Comment